Thursday, February 25, 2010

It's getting messy

My roommate is working on an amazing project where she is required to look through some horrific things. The cool thing is that the research they are collecting is helping to battle a major problem of exploitation in our country, and tonight she said that the actual work (going beyond the talk) is so messy.


Though the work is quite different, my talk with my roommate reminded me of what we are doing in Rwanda, that people who have no alternative for putting food on the table are able to grow coffee. As a single mom, who is probably quite young, what would her alternatives be? It breaks my heart to think of the lengths to which she might crawl. And it brings a smile to my face to know that she is growing coffee, or working in a washing station. Not every woman in Rwanda is, though, which is why we press on in what we do.

I have often thought that if it was my mother, or brother, or daughter who was hungry and desperate, I would want to know that someone somewhere is able to help, and he or she is doing all in his or her power to change my reality. So, we work. A lot. And we travel, serving coffee and sharing the story. We are doing everything in our power to change the reality.

Wow, this is messy. But oh so rewarding! Join us. -EL

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home